- Post-doctoral research scholar at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State University, USA, (Jan 2008 to Jan 2010).
- Awarded the Senior Research Fellowship (2000 – 2002) by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Awarded the Golden Jubilee Fellowship for the year 2003 by the University Women’s Association (UWA), Pune.
- Invited as a participant from India for the international workshop on ‘Exploring Subseafloor Life with the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program’, October 2006, conducted by the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program – Management International Inc. (IODP-MI), Washington D.C., U.S.A.
- Worked on different industry-oriented research projects for the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and for the New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR-NMITLI).
- Life Member of Association of Microbiologists of India.
Papers published and presented (* presenting author)
- Rao, J. U. and Ranade, D. R. (1999) Role of anaerobic bacteria in bioremediation of oil spills. In Proceedings of Oil Spill Response-’99, ISSN 0970-1214, (eds.) Pant, P. K., Lamba, S. S., Chakraborty, A. B., Pandey, A. M. and Kapala, B. C., pp. 49-51, Oil Asia Journal: Mumbai, India.
- Mendonsa, E. S., Vartak, P. H., Rao, J. U. and Deshpande, M. V. (1996) An enzyme from Myrothecium verrucaria that degrades insect cuticles, for biocontrol of Aedes aegypti mosquito. Biotechnology Letters 18, 373-3376.
- *S. D. Shete, J. U. Rao, P.P. Kanekar, D.R. Ranade, S. P. Kanekar and P. K. Dhakephalkar (2008) Cloning and expression of dissimilatory sulfite reductase genes of a novel Desulfovibrio sp. in Escherichia coli for production of cerium sulfide (poster presentation) - 49th Annual Conference of the Association of Microbiologists of India, New Delhi, India.
- *Rao, J. U. and Ranade, D. R. (2006) Interactions between sulfate-reducing bacteria and fermentative acid-producing bacteria isolated from an oilfield - International Workshop on Biotechnology of Anaerobic Bacteria and Archaea, Pune, India.
- *Rao, J. U. and Ranade, D. R. (2003) SRB help in limiting MIC caused by APB - 11th National Congress on Corrosion Control, Vadodara, India.
- *Rao, J. U. and Ranade, D. R. (1999) Anoxic degradation of alkanes by bacteria isolated from the Arabian Sea - 8th National Symposium on Environment, Kalpakkam, India.
- *Ranade, D. R., Ekbote, V. A., Rao, J. U., Singh, J. P., Bhardwaj, A. K. and Anto, P. F. (1996) Anaerobic bacteria involved in MIC of oil and gas system at Bombay offshore project - National Conference on Corrosion, New Delhi, India.
- Workshop on ‘Methods in Behavioural Ecology’ (Jan 2006), conducted by the Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- ASM short course on ‘Molecular Ecology of Biodegradation’ (Mar 2005), conducted by Dr. Andrew Ogram from the University of Florida, USA at the Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh.
- Workshop on ‘Knowledge Discovery in Life Sciences – Sequence-Based Bioinformatics Approaches’ (Dec 2003), conducted by the Bioinformatics Centre, University of Pune, India