The Faculty of Commerce is a major wing of the college, having more than 1791 students. It was establishedin 1992 with student strength of 60. It offers commerce undergraduate program B.Com,BBA(CA) and a postgraduateprogram M.Com. The Faculty has highly qualified academicians and attracts students from all over the country. Thealumni of the Faculty are well placed in the fields of Banking and Finance, General Management, Civil Services andAcademics. Many are successfully managing their own business establishments.Besides enriching the students academically, the faculty also strives to develop their overall personality byorganizing various activities for the students throughout the year. Some of these activities are, publication 'Commerce Horizon', On the job training, presentations, seminars, quiz, career fairs and industrial & socialvisits. The faculty has been taking special efforts to promote entrepreneurial spirit amongst students and hasestablished an Entrepreneurship Development Cell. The faculty adopts innovative teaching pedagogy aided byI.C.T. Students are encouraged to participate in curricular and extracurricular activities within and outside thecollege. Students of the Faculty have been performing remarkably well in academics, sports and cultural spheres.The Faculty has had the privilege of inviting some eminent personalities as guests to interact with the students.
Major Research Project: Study of Competition, Co-operation & Conflict between India And China (with special reference to trade and Commerce) (As Co-Director)
Minor Research Project : A study of first generation women entrepreneurs in Pune City.
Minor Research Project : Human Resource Audit
The Four P’s In marketing
Minor Research Project : An Analysis of Agricultural Development of a Maharashtra after 1991
Minor Research Project : Human Resource Development
Name of the Faculty
Research Magazine published for students
Directory of Websites
Publication on Latest Management Trends
Publication on famous National and International Brands
Books with ISBN/ISSN numbers with details of publishers
Parag Shah Book Title : Business Mathematics & Statistics
(ISBN- 978-81-923875-7-4)AtharvaPrakashan, Pune
Name of the Institution
Health and personality grooming
Maharashtra centre for entrepreneurship development
Entrepreneurship Development Programme
Entrepreneurship Development Programme
On job training.
SAP HR functional consultant
Tata Group Company
About my College:
Modern College Ganeshkhind was an evolving college when I secured admission here in 1996 for F.Y. BCom. Infrastructure was in a primary stage and looking at that many would not go for Admission immediately. However the college had a strong background of P.E. Society which said it all. Initially there were a few challenges in terms of classrooms and other infrastructure. However these challenges were overcome in a brilliant way by the enthusiastic and hardworking professors.
Our professors were really encouraging and maintain a very good student teacher relationship always. College encouraged to participate in all extra curricular activities and managed funds for us as and when required. We had a great bonding with college professors , principal and the non teaching staff as well. Extracurricular activities like guest lectures , exhibitions , Vividha , Entrepreneurship skills workshops, earn and learn schemes and many more kept us always engaged. College has a major part in overall personality development of their students and creating a good brand in this educational arena.
A good connect with Alumni over the last 20 years since the time we passed out is a great achievement as well. All the best to college as it grows by leaps and bounds !!!
I have been in the area of Human Resources in various organisations like Wipro, Syntel, Patni Computers, Tech Mahindra. After pursuing BCom from Modern College , I went ahead to pursue Master in Commerce, then Masters in Computer Management and recently Masters in Business Studies all from Pune University. Have recruited young talent through campuses across India. I love to interact with students and network with people in Industry. Since last 3 years working for a Tata Group company as a SAP HR functional consultant, now more on IT Side of HR. Developing systems for HR as a passion and a profession as well. Modern College has been an integral part of my overall development and growth throughout so far. Thanks to the college and all my Gurus who have been there for their students at all times.
Congratulations to my college on completing *Silver Jubilee* and even for building really good individuals for the society. Keep up the good work and let us know if you ever need our help. Shall be glad to assist !!!!
BCOM - 1996 - 99.
M.Com, MBA (Finance)
Pursuing MMS (Master in Management Studies)
GBU Team- Maersk Supply Service
Maersk Global Service Centres – Pune
“It is rightly said that struggles are required in order to survive in life, because in order to stand up, you got to know what falling down is like” Isn’t it is right? Yes, off course! Struggles, hard time, bad patch in life are great teachers. I believe in this because I am a person who stood amongst all the struggles. Today I would really like to pen down my experiences with people, situations, life and how I battled with them and stood up.
There was a time when I and my family used to stay in Chawl. My father was an auto rickshaw driver, mom a homemaker and my siblings were studying. We used to live hand to mouth. Such situations makes you to work hard for money, it is a fact, but if you have urge to study and soar high, you can do it by earning part time as well. I had scored 70% in SSC and 73% in HSC. My result made me sure that I can’t stop studying. I need to take up graduation in Come What May Situation; my inner voice told me that. I took up admission without even keeping in mind how I will manage money for that. Started pursuing B.Com in Modern College Ganeshkhind, which gave my life a “U” turn. Today also I say it to many people that whatever I am today, it’s not only because of my hard work but also because of my college and teachers. My success somewhere belongs to them.
While doing B.Com I had come at a stage where I had to earn because of my poor financial condition. I took up work of a newspaper delivery boy wherein I used to get up early in morning at 3 am and used to collect newspaper and after that I used to attend college. Every day I was a late entrant in class which came to the notice of VijayaKulkarni madam and one day she asked me the reason for being late. I told her about my financial condition & she became an angel whom god had sent for me. The moment she heard about my condition she stood up to help me. There are people who leave you in your worst situation but there are few good people who hold your hand in your bad times. She was amongst them. It is said that your bad phase in life teaches you what life is! It is also said that “A mother is a mother at your home but a teacher is your mother in school”. She helped & guided me for my studies, provided books for which I didn’t had money to purchase, she also paid my Graduations and Post graduation’s Fees by sponsoring me a scholarship. For that reason I always used to strive hard and score first rank. I wouldn’t have had been at this position if wouldn’t have met Kulkarni and Joshi Madam.
Later my education led me to make an entry in Maersk Global Service Centres . Today I have become a Manager of Maersk Service Line. Maersk is a global shipping company which has its own different segments in Drilling, Tankers, Oil etc. It is said that your struggle starts with your life and ends with your life. To get into Maersk wasn’t an easy journey. After B.Com I was struggling to get a decent job. I used to ask my friends about openings in any of the companies. I still remember that incident where I had requested my friend to refer me in the organization wherein he was working but he referred his sibling. That was the moment when I was let down but later on….start typing my own page.
I read somewhere that “As I look back in my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better” – A quote by Steve Maraboli.
I got encouraged by this quote & I kept on trying and my attempts never went in vain. The more you try the more you come with outcomes/ experiences which you should not do the next time when opportunity knocks your door. I joined Maersk in the year 2009. From 2009 to 2016 I got 6 promotions. It wasn’t that easy. I had changed the way I used to look at things. My approach towards life changed, tried to become different & increased my hard work. All what I had in my mind is to grow in my career. I have visited 7-8 countries & have travelled almost 30 times in a span of 7 years. I got best leader award for 3 consecutive years from 2013 to 2015. I have completed Green belt in lean Six Sigma which is one of the milestone in my career. These achievements mentioning is not to pen down but I would really like to give a message to every child/ student who is struggling with his/her poor conditions. But you can always go ahead in life. Earn while learn only if you have desire to study hard & go ahead in life. A person can overcome bad situation if the person has a strong will to come out of the situation. It’s the one which will lead to your way.
A strong will with a good nature would always attract good people to you. It’s always not important that only blood relations will help us. Sometimes relations which are made by us by helping others are the ones one should retain. In my case, I would really thank VijayaKulkarni& Joshi Madam, if they would had not helped me, I don’t know where I would have been today.
So a message which I would like to give everyone is to make friends, struggle is part & parcel of life, overcome bad times, Soar high with help of education and make good relations & retain them.
There are 2 important days in your life: 1st day is the day you are born & 2nd day to find out why you are born.
Best regards, Sagar Chougule
GBU Team- Maersk Supply Service
Maersk Global Service Centres – Pune
Its my alma mater which gave me wings to to fly high. It carved out a ture man from a college going boy. Mentoring of teachers fueled my aspirations and made me stand where I am today. BRIEF:
Born & brought up in Chinchwad. Completed higher secondary education from education from NMV Jr College, Pune.Joined Modern College GK in 2000 for B.Com. Actively participated in NCC, sports & Art Circle thus got a platform & strong foundation for over all development. Completed graduation withFirst Class , joined ICICI Bank as Asst Manager in Jan 2004. Cleared UPSC for Army and joined Officer's Training Academy in Oct 2004. Commissioned in 2005 and joined elite Special Forces. In service of Nation since then.
Best NCC Cadet 2000, NCC Group Headquarters.Pune
Gold Medal in 900 KM Cycle Expedition , Maharashtra NCC 2001
Best Student Modern College GK 2003
Participated in National Geographic Mission Everest : Runner up in last Round 2002
Best Missile Firer in 2006
Silver Medalist in Army Water Polo Championship 2009
Represented Army in Indo-US Military Training 2011
Gold Medalist in Army Swimming Championship 2011
Part of Rescue Operations in Siachen Glacier 2013
Runner Up Amature Army Golf Trophy Jan 2016
Writing a book on Glacial Warfare: New Approach
Married to DrPreetiKulkarni, have a 3 yr old daughter Karvy. Presently posted in Pune.
Cognizant Technology solutions
ABOUT MY COLLEGE
- My college started from very humble beginnings but with a very dedicated of teachers, principal(s) and office staff, many of whom have given their best years to ensure the College succeeds.
- While we started by borrowing infrastructure from the nearly school..the staff & my seniors made their their best efforts, to give a quality education to my batch & our juniors.
- I have found some live-long friends in this college, who have really helped me evolve as a person. I specifically would like to mention my dear friend Laxman Singh Rathore who is now a highly ranked office in the Indian Army, proudly serving his country in his profession.
- I joined the College at a difficult time in my personal life & subsequently lost my father who was the key decision maker in making me join this college in 1993. My father was my biggest supporter & laid the foundation for my career in the Information Technology Industry while I was completing my graduation.
- Over the years, I am happy to see the institution grow in strength & establish itself in a very competitive city.
- I am very pleased with the professional manner in which my small donation was received & is being managed by the College authorities over the past 12 years.
- I look forward to hearing the success stories of Modern college alumni in the years to come, & hope that they grow to become responsible citizens for their country & this institution.
- I wish the students, staff & management all the success in coming years and feel proud to be part of this family.
- I was born & brought up in Pune & did my schooling from Loyola High school, Pashan. My father was a scientist at ARDE Pune & my mother was a teacher in St Joseph's high school, Pashan.
- I completed my B.COM degree from Modern College Ganeshkhind in 1996, with a lot of support from my teachers, parents & friends.
- In parallel to my graduation degree, my parents enrolled me to a four year private computer course, which laid the foundation for my career in the Information Technology & gave me my first job as a Software programmer immediately after completing my Graduation in 1996.
- I completed my Masters Degree in Computer Management from Symbiosis Pune in 1999 & was fortunate to be selected to work with Asian Paints India as a Systems Analyst as part of campus placement.
- I learnt a lot of the real world in my job at Asian Paints Mumbai, working with a very talented team of professions who took care of me in my early career.
- I joined Mahindra British telecom (now known as Tech Mahindra) in 2000 as a Software Engineer & was fortunate to work with a large variety of clients & projects over a period of 12 years.
- I witnessed a highly exciting time in the Indian IT Industry and was fortunate to visit & work in the United Kingdom & since 2001.
- I enjoyed a period of steady growth with Tech Mahindra & was serving as a GROUP HEAD for a team of around 150 resources based in India & the UK till 2012.
- I subsequently choose to join Cognizant Technology solutions, with whom I am currently employed in the United Kingdom. Cognizant is one of the leading players in the global IT industry. It has a highly dynamic & successful management team & good work culture.
- I am an Associate Director at Cognizant Worldwide, and currently work as Program Manager in charge of delivering a strategic case management solution for a large multi-national bank which is based in London.
- My wife, Sandhya& I have two school going children who ensure, we are constantly on our toes & really enrich our lives.
Thanks & regards
Details of infrastructural facilities
No of Books :- 5536 (Amount in Rs. 7,27,337.85)
No. of Journals:- 24
Internet facilities for staff and students: Yes.
Class rooms with ICT facility: 13
Laboratories: 01 (with 50 Computers)
Number of Computers: 55 and 3 Printers
Mr. Ramdas Gund
S.S.C., F.Y. J.C.
Commerce Horizon - In house Magazine of Commerce faculty
Tally ERP Course. - Basic Computer Course at minimum cost
Career Fair - Platform to acquaint Students with different Career Opportunities
Vividha -Exhibiting Entrepreneurial Talents
Entrepreneurship Development Cell
College Social Responsibility Club
Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp
Cost Fest : Exhibition cum SaleMAGNIT-2015 Inauguration Function
Glimpsesof MOCK BANKING Cost Demonstration of ATM Model
Judging the groupsGlimpsesof BANK MITRAInteraction with villagers
Putting posters at bank in villageDiscussing with school children
GLIMPSES OF BANK MITRA
Felicitation of agricultural experts
Kisan asking question
KISAN STUDENT AND PARENT MEET
BANK CONNECT’ AFINANCIAL INCLUSION AND LITERACY CAMPAIGN
Tally ERP Course.
ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED BY THE BBA(CA) DEPARTMENT
To inculcate professional values, to give extra knowledge apart classroom and develop our students we organize and conducts different activities at departmental level. Every year we organize guest lecturers of experts, conducts aptitude tests for our students. We also organize MAGNIT- an intra departmental competition for our student in which we conducts programming competitions, presentation competition and wall magazine competitions.
NET/ SET/ GATE Qualified staff members and students (2011-14):
Staff member / Student
Avinash Pandurang Kharat
PLACEMENT IF APPLICABLE
Name of the Coordinator ___Suwarna Mhasekar
One or two lines about placement cell
Conducted various Aptitude tests to improve Technical Skills of the students.
9 students of MCA (commerce) Part III were selected in Future dream Solution Pvt Ltd for Industrial Training.
Organized one day workshop on Ethical Hacking
INFRASTRUCTURE IF APPLICABLE
Well equipped Computer Laboratory with 60 Computers and 6 Printers. Computers are loaded with latest software. Spacious classroom having LCD equipments.